This is Day 5 of the continuing saga of the creation of the “Space Oddities” project for the 2010 da Vinci Days Avenue of Imagination Community Art Project.
If you missed it, here’s Day 4….here’s Day 3…. here’s Day 2 … here’s Day 1.
Today I started out by cutting out 2 Bottom Panels that will be sandwiched together and then eventually glued to the bottom of the project.
Using some left over brown packing paper, I taped crumpled pieces to one side of one panel which will become The Center of the 2 panels. I spaced them out to give a more even coverage.
I line up the other panel and tape it in place to make The Sandwich.
For the skin of the sandwich edges and bottom, I used pieces of wax paper to make a “Sandwich Wrap“.
To make it easier to go around corners, I use narrower pieces of wax paper.
The Edge and the unseen side are now completely covered with wax paper.
To help smooth out The Corners, I use pieces of masking tape.
For the First Layer of paper mache, I used strips of newsprint paper, which was what I used on the second layer of the body of this project.
In this view of the First Layer, you can better see the strips of paper. I laid them vertically.
Yesterday I had finished applying the newsprint paper. This view shows the Dried Second Layer of the body of the project.
Here’s Another View of the project from the side. With this solid color of paper it will be easy for me to see where I need to apply the third layer of paper.
I completed the Third Layer using the paper from the color newsprint ads (non-shiny) from the Sunday newspapers. I also made the strips larger…about 2″x10″. So far this has been the easiest paper I’ve used, I could actually stretch and maneuver it around odd shapes and corners better than with the other two papers I had used.
Back Side view of the completed third layer.
That’s it for day 5.
Continue on to Day 6…
joyfully, Maureen, The Mandala Lady