This is Day 3 of the continuing saga of the creation of the “Space Oddities” project for the 2010 da Vinci Days Avenue of Imagination Community Art Project.
I’m Ready To Go with the ‘paper mache’ portion of this project. I taped more rope around the body, about 2/3 the way up, which may be a little difficult to spot in this image.
For The Beginning Layer, I used small pieces of torn up newspaper (about 1″ x 3″), laying them on horizontally. After doing much research, I decided to use full-strength liquid starch mainly because of it’s ease of use and low cost ($2 for a large bottle)…you just pour out of the bottle into a bowl. Other options required mixing 1 or more ingredients with water; all are probably fine options…I just wanted something easy.
Here’s the First Layer of skin…it took me about 3.5 hours.
Here’s a Back Side view of the completed first layer of skin.
And here’s a Side View.
This completes Day 3.