Here is today’s progression of the big fish, which I have named “Sammie.”
I added two plastic pearls to the top of the glasses. (See yesterday’s post to view the supplies photo with the necklace).
I rigged Sammie with two eye hooks so that I could hang it and work on both sides.
I painted a watered-down Carribean Blue wash over the body of the fish. I added extra paint strokes on the tail & fins.
I painted a watered-down Blue Jay wash over the face area.
Then I painted areas of watered-down Daffodil Yellow.
I painted a coat of the white pearl finish on the face, tail & fins.
I wanted the scales to lift off the the surface by a small amount. I decided to use the individual pieces of the purple plastic beads. I glued the bead so that it’s under the left side of the scale and the right side glued directly to the fish.
The bottom row of scales is glued in place.
The middle row of scales is complete.
The top row is done.
I found a strand of mardi gras beads and cut them up to use as dots on the upper part of the fish to mimic the spots on a salmon. I also applied strands of glitter on the fins and tail to accentuate their shape. I then turned the Sammie over to do the same steps on the other side. Sammie’s tail and face are supported by plastic containers so that it’s about 4 inches above the table.
I’ve hung Sammie in the shower to dry. What looks like an eyeball on the face, is actually the nose. I used one of the spacers from the plastic pearl necklace. (See yesterday’s post for the photo of the supplies used).
That’s it for today. Tomorrow I’ll finish off the face and tail (more glitter), attach the sunglasses, cover the entire thing in sealant, and add the translucent stringy stuff to the bottom of the fish…to make it look like it’s jumping over water (at least that’s the plan.)
Maureen, The Mandala Lady