I’m doing a fish for the da Vinci Days Avenue of Imagination promotion. I decided to photo-journal the process. To date here’s what’s been done.
Sketch of Salmon
I started by drawing this sketch of a salmon. It’s 32×10.5. Since most salmon seem to have sad faces, I gave this one a smiley face. Hey, I’m the artist, I can take liberties if I want
Download Sammie sketch
Wood Cut-out of Salmon
From my 32″ sketch of the salmon, Gerry (my totally significant other), cut out the salmon on 1/4in plywood.
I then gave it 3 coats of primer, both sides.
You know those old 3-1/2in ‘floppy’ disks we all accumulated years ago but are reluctant to throw out? Well I opened mine up (60 of them to be exact), pulled out the floppy part of the floppy disk and removed the center metal piece.
Primed Floppy Disks
I used rust-o-leum’s white spray primer that claimed it would stick to just about anything. Lo & behold, it sticks to floppy disks…and quite nicely I might add. If you should try this, you’ll need to temporarily secure them otherwise they blow away as soon as you try to spray them. I used this tacky putty stuff that I use to post things on walls.
Some of the Supplies I used
Some of the supplies I used and will be using. I went to a local thrift shop and bought the plastic pearl necklace and the purple & green beads for a total of $1.25. Such a deal.
The little sunglasses came from one of our stuffed animals. Since this photo, I added 2 small ‘pearls’ to the part of the glasses that stick up on top. I added the glitter trim using the Blue Topaz Sparkly Glitter Glue. I also have a bottle of Blue Moon Sparkly Glitter Glue.
Our local craft store, Creative Crafts & Frame, had Ceramcoat acrylic paint on sale, so I bought Caribbean Blue, Lime Sorbet, Blue Jay, Pop Pink, and Bahama Purple. I also bought DecoArt Daffodil Yellow and Dazzling Metallics White Pearl. I’m gluing things with Beacon’s 3-in-1 advanced craft glue. Later I’ll show you how I’m using the Natural Accents (the bag of translucent fluffy stuff).
I had six colors, so I paint ten disks of each color. They needed two coats, the purple ones (lower right) needed three coats.
Whte Pearl metallic finish - view 1
To all of the disks, I painted one layer of the white pearl metallic finish. In this view it’s hardly noticeable.
White Pearl metallic finish - view 2
When light reflects off it, it has a nice shimmer. Hopefully we have bright sunny days for da Vinci Days so that this fish can really shine.
View Part 1 of 4
View Part 2 of 4
View Part 3 of 4
View Part 4 of 4
Maureen, The Mandala Lady
Read Full Post »